This module focuses on the main features of future power systems and markets with a high share of renewable energies. Thereby the German energy transition (“Energiewende”) serves as an example and lessons learned will be discussed and adapted to the Chinese market. The influence of new technologies such as battery storage and coupling of the transport and the heat sector will be discussed.
The German energy transition: how to achieve the “Energiewende”
- Overview and history of the energy concept and the energy transition
- Support mechanisms for renewable energies
- The significance of storage technologies today and in the future
- Demand flexibilisation
- Electricity market design – what does the future hold?
Renewable energies on the electricity market
- The effect of renewable energies on the electricity market
- Marketing opportunities for renewable energies
- Business models and development
Challenges for energy providers
- Changes within the structure of the power plant fleet
- Dealing with fluctuating electricity feed and grid expansion planning
- Reactions to the energy transition: investment and decommissioning plans of the future
New technologies and connections: opportunities and challenges
- Storage technologies: overview, usage and market development
- Coupling the power, heat and transport sector
- Connecting the dots for a future power system
Current developments in China
- The Chinese renewable energy market
- Achievements and challenges
- How to integrate renewables into the power system?